cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] use for software

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] use for software
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:43:38 -0400

On Monday 22 August 2005 11:52 pm, Tom Hosiawa wrote:
> > Or if what Tom really wants is a GPL-like license that considers use in
> > a web app distribution, use http://www.affero.org/oagpl.html (which is
> > not OSI-certified, but the FSF apparently considers it a free software
> > license and potentially upward compatible with GPL 3.0, whatever that
> > means) or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocal_Public_License (which
> > is OSI-approved, though it looks questionable to me, and the FSF says it
> > is non-free).
>
> That is basically what I'm looking for. I've read stuff about the GPL
> and people just saying it doesn't affect web apps, but I've never read
> a good argument on how it doesn't.

Well, as far as I understand it, the reason te GPL does not affect "web apps"
is because one of the freedoms it considers important is the freedom to make
and use private modifications and to keep your code private. The code
"share-alike" provisions kick in when you choose to not keep your mods
private but to distribute them. So, when you let someone log into a web site
and make use of the site, you have not given them the code and so you can
keep your mods private.

Does anyone have any thoughts on similar issues if you were to give someone
remote desktop access via something like vnc?

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/44809 (by-sa 2.5 image)
--
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22drew%20Roberts%22