cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] use for software

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Bjorn Wijers <mailings AT bdisfunctional.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] use for software
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:32:11 +0200

Being the devil's advocate, not considering ethical and/or ideological viewpoints and it might be a very stupid question but:

What about making the code free under GPL, but use a trademark to protect your businessname and after that 'protect' your business methods with 'patents'? So basically the code is free for anyone to use, but the specifics of your business methods not?

- Could this work?

- Is this similar to how companies like Redhat can open their code but still 'protect' their business?

grtz
BjornW

Tom Hosiawa wrote:
Or if what Tom really wants is a GPL-like license that considers use in
a web app distribution, use http://www.affero.org/oagpl.html (which is
not OSI-certified, but the FSF apparently considers it a free software
license and potentially upward compatible with GPL 3.0, whatever that
means) or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocal_Public_License (which
is OSI-approved, though it looks questionable to me, and the FSF says it
is non-free).

That is basically what I'm looking for. I've read stuff about the GPL
and people just saying it doesn't affect web apps, but I've never read
a good argument on how it doesn't.