cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] use for software

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Tom Hosiawa <tomek32 AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] use for software
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:02:59 -0400

I know the FAQ says the CC licenses aren't meant to be used for
software, but me and a friend have a web application we are developing
that we originally released under the GPL. We would now rather icense
it under the "Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License
Canada".

Basically, we feel since this is a web application where it could
easily be used to generate revenue, we would like to keep the option
open for basing a small business around it. Since the GPL doesn't
really do anything for us since web apps aren't really distributed, we
feel the above license fits our model much better and still allows us
to release the code for free to the open source community.

So I'm wondering if it's totally against the the recommendation to use
CC for software, or if it's just recommended to use other software
licenses?
--
Tom