cc-licenses - Re: Confusion over conflicting licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Serge Wroclawski <serge AT tux.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Confusion over conflicting licenses
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:11:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Greg London wrote:

> restrictions on the work.
>
> The point of sharealike is specifically so that
> downstream folks cant put MORE restrictions
> on the work.
>
> All other licenses allow people to put MORE restrictions
> on the work.

Honestly, this is a serious problem with the CC license culture (rather
than the license itself. With software or pratical information the issues
are clear. Less restrictions can hurt society. In this case, conflicting
licenses make for a great deal of difficulty in using the works. Even if I
have no intention to make money off a deraviate work, I can't use it.

Many CC users, I think, aren't thinking of people like me when they put
the licenses on the works.

- Serge Wroclawski