cc-licenses - Re: cc-NME (no monetary exchange)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: cc-NME (no monetary exchange)
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:51:08 -0400

On Friday 29 April 2005 10:45 am, Greg London wrote:
> CC hasn't clarified what exactly "commercial" means
> on the grounds that explaining their licenses
> is legal advice. Since the sliver of information
> from CC about CC-NC was that the NonCommercial
> license allows monetary exchange as long as it
> is not-for-profit, I would like to suggest a
> new license which would effectively be what
> everyone on this list THOUGHT CC-NonCommercial was.
>
> Namely, I would like to propose some sort of
> license that would not allow any monetary exchange
> whether it be for profit or nonprofit.
>
> I would call it NoCompensation, but NC is already
> taken, so I suggest the name "NoMonetaryExchange",
> with the acronym CC-NME.
>
> It should work with other CC licenses in combination,
> for example, BY-NME or ND-NME or SA-NME or whatever
> crazy combination is already allowed.
>
> Anyone interested in such a license option?

Sure, (I definately want clarification on NC as well - CC, please at least
state what you intentions were when writing the license, even if you are not
advising that the licenses you produced work as intended. At least then we
may get help in fixing them if they don't work as intended. Also, could the
person who mentioned MIT's use please put us in contact with someone who
might be willing to give us MIT's take on the matter.) but it would still
need to spell out clearly what is considered to be Monetary Compensation. If
we say no money going from A's hands to B's hands where A is getting the work
from B, then that is one thing. You then need to let B profit in any way they
choose so long as they get no money from A.

Please note however, that a resourceful B could figure out many ways to
profit
without getting money from A or indeed, any money from anyone.

Also, let's say I want to print books and pay for them myself and give them
away. Can I pay a for profit printer to print them for me? Let's say I am
100% honest and use an arms length printer. The printer is going to make a
monetary profit from printing the books, but I am not and the one's who get
the copies in the end are not putting out anything to get them.

It is just tough to figure out how to word this right. Especially if you
consider things other than money as "profit."

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22drew%20Roberts%22