cc-licenses - Re: cc-NME (no monetary exchange)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT digitaldistribution.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: cc-NME (no monetary exchange)
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:38:15 -0400

Greg London wrote:
CC hasn't clarified what exactly "commercial" means
on the grounds that explaining their licenses
is legal advice.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the CC?
For me, the #1 selling point is that the licenses are supposed to be clear and fairly well understood. I am not a lawyer, and I don't want to get a law degree before I can do useful work. I am, however, willing to read FAQs, join lists and do work to understand the licenses. But if the makers of the license don't write FAQs, and doing join lists, what am I to do?

<not-serious>Maybe it'd be better to stick to /all/ rights reserved. At least I know what that one means.</not-serious>

Cheers,
Daniel.