cc-licenses - Re: distribution of licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: distribution of licenses
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:33:25 +0000
On 6 Mar 2005, at 04:12, Greg London wrote:

Alright, so if someone really thinks they'll
have a huge fan-culture following and create a
non-commercial community around it, then maybe
CC could give "ShareAlike" a different name
when it is combined with anything else.

Fan culture is one example. I've seen calls for NC (-like) licenses for folk music, and I can't see anticapitalists going for non-NC, on principle.

We cannot predict how people will want to use licenses, but NC is a common theme. For Free Software it's disastrous. For Free Culture, I don't like it but many people seem to. Maybe this will be a difficult learning experience.

CC should not prescribe. But others can educate.

I'd be fine with something like "CC-NC-FAN".
Or "FC" for Fan Club, or whatever.
At least it would be an honest description.

The licenses are modular. SA just means the other terms of the license must be re-applied to derived works. I don't think this is any kind of misrepresentation.

The thing is that ShareAlike combined with any
otehr license means that the original author
isn't really "sharing" and the author and community
aren't treated "alike". The community is really
treated more like a fan club than as equals.

I appreciate that the original author could re-license. This is the achilles heel of NC-SA for a true community license.

If a different name like "FC" were used, I think
CC might see their "pie chart" of licenses
shift because people would better understand
what the license they're picking actually does,
and change some of their choices.

A fan license would be good as, like the Sampling license, it could fit the target community's "social contract" better. But this is not the only morally or ideologically understandable use of NC-SA (however misguided).

- Rob.