cc-licenses - Re: distribution of licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: distribution of licenses
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 22:31:22 +0000
On 5 Mar 2005, at 18:58, Greg London wrote:

CC-NC-SA is like someone claiming "Free Steak Knives"
and then you find out in the small print that it's
$20 for shipping and handling. So the truth is it isn't
free. But Ronko has a right to proclaim "Free Steak Knives".

I'm not a fan of NC-SA. But I do understand why people use it. It's not about retaining commercial advantage, it's about creating public space. They have the right (freedom) to do this and CC are right to support them in this.

Think of fan culture.

The question is whether Creative Commons
wants to be the "Ronko" of licenses or if it wants to
be something more.

It is something more, it provides a "spectrum of rights" and advocacy for choice. You, I, and NC users are all empowered by this, even if our individual causes (mine being copyleft and FSF-style freedom) are not pushed to the fore.

- Rob.