cc-licenses - Re: distribution of licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: distribution of licenses
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 06:51:05 -0500 (EST)

drew Roberts said:
> On Sunday 06 March 2005 06:36 pm, Greg London wrote:
>> The only problem I see now is that SA-NOBY
>> won't play with SA-BY, which is unfortunate,
>> but I think any large SA project would really
>> have to be NOBY for it to survive massive
>> contributers.
>
> SA alone would also work, the option to not give the BY would always be
> there
> if giving the BY became a burden.

Yes, a project could always tell the contributers
that they must agree to license their submissions
under ShareAlike with Attribution Waived.

> Why do you think it is necessary for attribution to
> be forbidden in a large project? I don't see the logic?

Just keeping track of all the contributers becomes a hassle,
and extra burden above and beyond the burden of trying to
get a new project going. And unless who also track who
contributed what, you simply accumulate a list of all authors,
whether their contribution actually made it to the final
version or not.

If someone starts a CC-SA project for movie projects,
you'll have video clips, sound clips, scripts, actors,
and so on. Say I stumble across this site and really
like a sound clip I found. Who contributed it?
It was in the movie, and the movie credits end with a
laundry list of every contributer.

I just want to use the sound clip under ShareAlike.
This means that the movie site will have to keep
track of who contributed what for anyone to be able
to use those pieces outside of the original project.
Keeping track of who contributed what can be a pain
in the butt, especially if you've got lots of derivations
going on (A wiki to allow anyone to modify a movie script),
and lots of different types of medium.