cc-licenses - Re: Can't find the right license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Can't find the right license
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:19:45 +0100
On 28 Oct 2004, at 21:26, Evan Prodromou wrote:

I agree absolutely, and so do the FSF. They recommend including the CC
license with the work.

Do they provide examples of how to do that?

Not to my knowledge.

Relevant page: http://www.fsf.org/licenses/licenses.html#OtherWorks

"For other kinds of works, we recommend you consider the licenses proposed by Creative Commons.
However, when using them, we strongly urge you to reject the option to reference the license with a link to a URL. You cannot take for granted that the same URL will still function ten years from now; fifty years from now, URLs as they exist today may be entirely obsolete. If the URL does not function, that would disconnect your work from its license; then it would effectively lose its copying permissions, since people won't be able to tell what is permitted. We therefore urge you to include a copy of the license with the work, for every work, all the time."

- Rob.