cc-licenses - Re: Can't find the right license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Can't find the right license
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:43:19 -0400 (EDT)

Evan Prodromou said:
> On Thu, 2004-28-10 at 15:41 -0400, Greg London wrote:
>
>> I think attribution should be viewed by its original name of "advertising
>> clause". If you're using CC-BY for something, it should be for free
>> advertising, not for any sort of gift-economy type project.
>

> That's a complete and utter crock. The Attribution license element was
> never called the "advertising clause".

You are correct. It was never called that. My bad on that part.

I still believe that it is not condusive to a gift-economy license, though,
which was the main point of my original message.

A gift is given freely and has no strings that attach it to the giver.
Cumulative advertising clauses or cumulative attributions could weigh down
on a gift-economy project enough to kill it.

I am not against attribution. I use it myself.
I just think that a gift economy project like wikipedia or similar
would commit suicide if it had Attribution requirements on its contributions.

But every author can use whatever license they want.