cc-licenses - Re: How to include a copy of the appropriate license?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "J.B. Nicholson-Owens" <jbn AT forestfield.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: How to include a copy of the appropriate license?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:49:12 -0500

Gottfried Hofmann wrote:
Well, for example in filesharing. Having everything zipped so that you can
include a license file acutally sucks.

That's an inconvenience, not a puzzle. I asked for examples where it is
difficult to figure out how to include a copy of the applicable license.

Having the license as a comment in an ogg file is possible though - but what
about movies?

Now you're on to something; Ogg is a multimedia container format, not a video
or audio format. One could encode movies with Theora and Vorbis, for example,
and include the license text. This sounds like a viable way to get the job
done. The main shortcoming that comes to my mind is that licensees might not
think to look in the file for the license text. Perhaps software can make it
easy to locate the text and show it to the user on demand.