cc-licenses - Re: Why do you have to chose the 'Attribution' option with the new CC 2.0 Licenses?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james.grimmelmann AT yale.edu>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Why do you have to chose the 'Attribution' option with the new CC 2.0 Licenses?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:26:24 -0700

At 05:56 AM 8/17/2004, Greg London wrote:

James Grimmelmann said:
> I would disagree that Creative Commons has "a" model.

You said the most common license was CC-NC-SA, which
supports my notion that CC has "a" model. Or at the
very least, most users have "a" model of how to use
CC licenses.

There are different camps, even among authors choosing CC-(BY)-NC-SA. Some see it as a strong attempt to enforce reciprocity from downstream authors in two different ways (don't make money and give back to others). Others see it as a more permissive version of CC-(BY)-NC-ND: a more generous form of "community service," as you say.

Linux is a gift economy
RedHat is a market economy doing community service

This is a great example -- because these two economies coexist and contribute positively to each other. Neither could exist alone.

I am not a lawyer; I do not speak for Creative Commons.

James