cc-licenses - Re: Why do you have to chose the "Attribution" option with the new CC 2.0 Licenses?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Why do you have to chose the "Attribution" option with the new CC 2.0 Licenses?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:03:07 +0100
On 16 Aug 2004, at 20:52, evan AT wikitravel.org wrote:

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 08:46:00PM +0100, Rob Myers wrote:

This means you can easily find the sources, use more of the
source material and/or alter the source material. There's no such
requirement for content under CC*, and I do think this is a problem
with CC compared to GPL.

I'd really like to see a source-code license element in future versions of
the CC suite.

Wellllll. I'd like to see a GPL-compatible CC license. I'd be very, very wary of releasing Yet Another Software License, even one done as well as the CC content licenses. There's too many Open Source licenses already, and content ain't code (tm).* Possibly identifying GPL and BSD-compatible CC licenses would be a better non-duplication-of-effort.

Out of genuine interest, which projects do you have in mind for code and content under CC, or is it a more general requirement for (say) Debian? What would the advantages be?

Thanks.

- Rob.

* - In theory you can release content under the GPL if you can identify the "source code", and the GPL is a very finely-tuned software license.