cc-licenses - Re: Why do you have to chose the 'Attribution' option with the new CC 2.0 Licenses?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james.grimmelmann AT yale.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Why do you have to chose the 'Attribution' option with the new CC 2.0 Licenses?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:38:40 -0700

At 06:20 PM 8/16/2004, Greg London wrote:
Has CC ever released any numbers that approximate how many
CC-NC licenses were requested versus how many CC-SA licenses?
My guess is that the overwhelming majority are CC-NC, just
by way of their "cartoon" intros talk about CC-NC.

Since license adoption is not really centralized (the license picker doesn't say whether someone actually used a license, or on which works, or how many other people took them up on it), reliable data are not entirely easy to come by.

But if I remember correctly, statistics about actual usage out on the web seem to indicate that the most commonly-used license is CC-NC-SA, far and away; it's more than twice as popular as any other license and accounts for an absolute majority of our hits.

(I don't see any legal advice in this email, but I should still point out that I'm not stating anything official on behalf of CC.)

James