cc-licenses - Re: Why do you have to chose the 'Attribution' option with the new CC 2.0 Licenses?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Why do you have to chose the 'Attribution' option with the new CC 2.0 Licenses?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:20:35 -0400 (EDT)

toddd AT mypse.goracer.de said:
> But why do you want to sacrife the wishes of 3% of the artists who did not
> chose
> attribution?
> The more in complexicity would only apply to 3% of the cases so that should
> not
> be a problem.

You are giving at least some of those 3% far more credit than they
are due. Anyone who wanted to choose CC-NC instead of CC-NC-BY
is NOT putting their work in a gift economy. They are NOT giving
their work away to the point where author and the rest of the
world are equally able to copy/distribute/create derived works.

So, if Alice wanted CC-NC instead of CC-NC-BY, then you aren't
seeing the forest for the trees. She picked a market-economy
license and "attribution" is but a pittance on top of that.

Now, if Alice wanted CC-SA and got CC-SA-BY by mistake or by default
of teh CC website or by persuasion of the CC FAQ, then perhaps there
is something to be done about that. CC-SA could be a gift economy
license, and authors who are looking to pick CC-SA should be
directed towards CC-SA, not CC-SA-BY.

Has CC ever released any numbers that approximate how many
CC-NC licenses were requested versus how many CC-SA licenses?
My guess is that the overwhelming majority are CC-NC, just
by way of their "cartoon" intros talk about CC-NC.