cc-licenses - Re: License that allows private copying?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sal Randolph <sal AT highlala.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: License that allows private copying?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:00:12 -0500

On Mar 25, 2004, at 2:13 PM, Greg London wrote:

to me, Fair-Use means personal Copying.
I can copy a TV show with my VCR and play it
back for personal viewing at a later time.
I can create derived works of CD's,
convert them to MP3's, and burn them
to a new CD so I can play them in my car.

It actually does occur to me that there might be a place for a FAIR USE license for european countries who do not currently have anything like our fair use clauses. redundant in the US, but not at all in many countries.

-- Sal