cc-licenses - Re: License that allows private copying?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Scott Johnston <johnston AT vectaport.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: License that allows private copying?
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:31:16 -0800

Greg London said:
<x-tad-bigger>Scott Johnston said:
></x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> I have a peer-to-peer content development tool that I want to sell over
</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>></x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> the internet.
</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>
Then use a CC-FreeAdvertising license, like CC-NonCommercial-NoDerivs,
and be done with it. If you want to sell something, having a
LimitedQuantityDistribution license is a waste of time.

</x-tad-bigger>

Using a license like CC-NonCommercial-NoDerivs would allow someone to defeat my efforts to make some money by simply posting a copy they acquired on the net.

I admit it is not easy to draw a distinction between private and public copying/distribution (with the Internet these two acts are intertwined, unlike conventional publishing). You can get into games where people make a public announcement of their "private" club where private materials can be had. But there are similar games with a Commercial/NonCommercial distinction, yet CreativeCommons forged ahead.

I can imagine other users of a CC license with a Private clause. An independent band might want a revenue stream from micropayments for songs sold over the net, and at the same time want dedicated fans to be able to e-mail the songs to their friends, to build up their fan base.

I understand that very few people are worried about allowing or disallowing private copying. But there is a difference between personal copying and private copying (like the difference between a personal note and a private correspondence), and to be able to make a distinction in licensing would be in some parties interest. In the spirit of CreativeCommons, why not let me decide what I prefer, and what I think is a waste of time.

Scott Johnston