cc-licenses - RE: License that allows private copying?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: License that allows private copying?
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:13:32 -0500 (EST)

Richard Cobbett said:
> What this sounds like
> is going back to the other day's 'Fair Use' argument, which would ultimately
> come down to "Look, can you do it legally with a book or CD? There you go
> then."

to me, Fair-Use means personal Copying.
I can copy a TV show with my VCR and play it
back for personal viewing at a later time.
I can create derived works of CD's,
convert them to MP3's, and burn them
to a new CD so I can play them in my car.

I'm not sure how much Fair-Use covers the
right to Distribute anything. This guy calls
it "private copying", but he actually wants
to grant low quantity distribution.

Which, in my opinion, is CC-FreeAdvertising.