cc-licenses - Re: Open database, closed site

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: email AT greglondon.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Open database, closed site
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:12:12 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:40:59 -0500, CC AT iblist.com wrote:
> I can see I worded that very badly. My intent of the
> comment about downloading through me only was to
> (legally) prevent people from using an automated program
> to scour the site. There are a few programs out
> there now that do this to major book sites, and I
> don't agree with it.

I don't think anything in Copyright law covers
bots. You can license the work Non-Commercial only,
that won't prevent bots, but it will prevent anyone
from using the bot-gathered info commercially.

as for bots themselves:
http://www.chami.com/tips/internet/010198I.html

> <b>The book, author, and series information from the database :</b>
> *Share Alike.

> User reviews are the property of the individual that posted them.

> (users give) iblist.com permission to display them on iblist.com only.

A couple of things. If all iblist really owns is the book/author/isbn
information, then that may be treated a bit differntly than
"artistic expressions". I don't know what the current standing is
on whether or not you can copyright the phone book.

Secondly, if users own their reviews, granting iblist the right to
copy/distribute their works verbatim, then iblist has no right to
license the reviews as ShareAlike. The reviews effectively become
CC-NoDeriv.