cc-licenses - Re: Open database, closed site

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: email AT greglondon.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Open database, closed site
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:34:20 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:53:34 -0500, CC AT iblist.com wrote:
> For various reasons, adopting a completely open source
> policy is not what I and the users want.

There is no CC license, nor any Open Content license,
that prohibits verbatim copy/distribute of a work.

That is a fundamental requirement of openness. See:
http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

If you are unwilling to allow verbatim copy/distribute
of the work, you do not wish to adopt ANY open source
policy, and you should use the license "All rights
Reserved". People will be able to go to your website
and peruse your database, but they will not be able
to copy/paste it into their own works.

Your stats claim 18,000 titles have all been submitted
by its users, and that "We do not claim any ownership
over the user-submitted data."

But your email states your intent is to now claim
ownership on these 18,000 user contributions,
declaring "All Rights Reserved".

Did you inform your contributers of your intent
to take ownership of their works? Doing so without
their permission would be, at the very least,
majorly uncool.