cc-licenses - Re: Open database, closed site

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Wouter Vanden Hove <wouter.vanden.hove AT pandora.be>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Open database, closed site
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:07:00 +0100

cc AT iblist.com wrote:
I run a site that is a database of books and other printed media (see e-mail
address for domain). I want to open the database for download through me only
under the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 1.0 license (I wish 2.0 would
get out already). What I want is for the website itself to be completely
restricted, but they can download the database through me under the above
license (I ddon't want them running a harvester bot or anything). Does anyone
see any problems with using the above license on this kind of site?

It seems that your website is a collective project.
So why don't you adopt a real open source strategy, like for example
theassayer.org?

Wouter Vanden Hove
www.opencursus.org
www.open-education.org