cc-licenses - Non-commerical use and music on hold

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Luke Stodola <lbs6380 AT cs.rit.edu>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Non-commerical use and music on hold
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:03:56 -0500

IANAL, nor am I part of Creative Commons, but I think that this use is
allowed by some CC licenses. Music on hold would either be "public
performance" or more likely "distribution on a public network" (the
phone network). So I don't see any reason it shouldn't be allowed.

The issue arises because of the NonCommercial clause. This is one of
the reasons I don't like that clause: its not immediately clear what is
commercial use and what is not. I would say to be safe stick with music
without that clause. Also, as you mentioned both the attribution and
the ShareAlike part could be a little difficult for you to follow easily
in a music-on-hold situation. Perhaps you could contact the artist and
see if you personally can use the music without those requirements in
exchange for a donation.

Luke Stodola
dxdt.org/archive/