cc-licenses - Re: Non-commerical use and music on hold

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller <sloyment AT gmx.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Non-commerical use and music on hold
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 01:41:46 +0100

Hi Matthew,

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 05:54, Matthew M. Gamble wrote:
> Reading through the list archives, I can't seem to find an
> answer to my question - does playing creative commons music on
> a company telephone hold system count as "commercial use"?

Disclaimers:
* I am not a lawyer, and this is not a legal advice.
* I am not a member of the Creative Commons project.

I have read through the German copyright law, and there are usage
rights listed in it like "public playback of a recording" and
"making the work available in a public network". So, you need a
license for these activities.

The CC licenses only allow only copying, distribution,
modification and performance. What you want does not fall into
any of these categories.

So, my interpretation is that (at least from a German standpoint)
you cannot use Creative Commons music this way.

cu,
Thomas }:o{#
-- - http://217.160.174.154/~sloyment/ - --
"Look! They have different music on the dance floor..."