cc-licenses - Non-commerical use and music on hold

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Matthew M. Gamble" <mgamble AT eol.ca>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Non-commerical use and music on hold
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:54:50 -0500

Greetings all,

Reading through the list archives, I can't seem to find an answer to my question - does playing creative commons music on a company telephone hold system count as "commercial use"?
Secondly, how should the music be attributed in this scenario? Reading the CC license, it is my understanding that the license (or URL to the license) has to be displayed. Does this mean that if I want to use creative commons music in a music-on-hold situation that I have to speak out the URL to the license every 'x' minutes? How often would 'x' be? Before each song?
Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide.

M. Gamble