cc-licenses - Re: Information on use of CC-licensed works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: jbn AT forestfield.org (J.B. Nicholson-Owens)
  • To: Creative Commons license mailing list <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Information on use of CC-licensed works
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:28:02 -0600

Evan Prodromou wrote:
> The following are a starting point. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know
> if these are correct, but maybe they'd be good to start adding.

This strikes me as a very useful thing to have and I hope CC will consider
it as another way to help understand the CC licenses. Placing a list like
Prodromou's on their website (corrected, if there are any errors, of course)
could be quite beneficial (even though it's not the binding text).

I searched the archives for something just like this so I can be sure I'm
doing the right thing in preparing CC-licensed works for my non-commercial
community radio show.

> MUSIC AND OTHER AUDIO
>
> OK for all licenses (but commercial use restrictions may apply):
> -Playing on Internet radio
> -Playing on regular radio

I think these would be considered correct, according to
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2003-October/000133.html
where Glenn Otis Brown says

"All our current licenses allow broadcast, digital or terrestrial. So a
cc-licensed song can be played w/o the licensor's consent."

Perhaps this also includes "Sharing on a peer-to-peer network" (because the
line between playing over Internet radio and sharing via a peer-to-peer
network seems so incredibly thin to me).