cc-licenses - Re: Information on use of CC-licensed works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Information on use of CC-licensed works
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 20:32:27 -0500

TUG> You only pick three areas from the huge list. What can be
TUG> done with a coreography, a statue, a building... The list is
TUG> endless.

Yes, but the simple fact is that in 2003 digital content is generally
for music, video, images, or text. You have good points about
non-digital works, which aren't addressed yet on the CC site at all.

(BTW, I'm wondering how to volunteer to do this, write things for the
site, etc. Any pointers, anyone?)

TUG> Other things one might want to do with music:

I had a whole list of other things after each of these, most of which
you repeat. Why?

Me> [3] -Performing in public

TUG> Are you talking about a theatre play here?

Yes.

TUG> (I don't really care about the distinction between
TUG> 'Collective Work' and 'Derivative Work'. It seems to be only
TUG> important when it comes to license incompatibility.)

Well, it makes sense from a standpoint of: what will people be allowed
to do with my stuff? What can I do with CC-licensed stuff? It's a lot
easier to say, "This is a Collective Work, this is a Derivative Work"
than to say, "These are the things you can do with by-nc-sa, these are
the things you can do with by-nd-nc", or whatever.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/