cc-licenses - License Question (Fair use and ownership)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: License Question (Fair use and ownership)
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:08:03 +0000

Hello to the list.

I Have a question regarding the applicationn of the Creative Commons licenses
(specifically Attribution Required/No Commercial/No Derivation as applied to
weblogs). I appreciate that this list is for future developments, so possibly
if I phrase this as a discussion of a possible clarification? :-)

IANAL, so my question is: if I include a reference to a third-party trademark
or a quote from a third-party article in a work I put under a CC license, do
I need a disclaimer like the one at the bottom of the RSS 2.0 site?

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss

For example, in the CC weblog at:

several major films and television series are mentioned by name. I assume
these aren't licensed by the CC license. :-)

Likewise, in the CC weblog at:

there are a series of quotes from an article on a newspaper website. No
rights over this are claimed by the individual applying the CC license here
either, I take it. :-)

To phrase my question another way, is using a CC license on something I've
written containing material that would normally be covered by "fair usage"
claiming that I own the rights to the "fair usage" material as well?

Thanks.

- Rob.