cc-licenses - Re: Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial & software

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial & software
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:46:28 -0800

Dudley Carr wrote:
In my case, the software will be proprietary, and thus none of the open source licenses suit our needs. However, we'd like to have the clients of our software, which will be distributed in binary form, be able to exercise their fair use rights.

They are allowed to exercise their fair use rights regardless (modulo DMCA/DRM interference, and my ignorance as a non-lawyer).

I suspect you want your users to be able to excercise the rights granted in by-nd-nc, namely the right to distribute your unmodified software on a noncommercial basis.

The point that I would appreciate clarification on, is why using the CC license would not be in our "best interest."

It's not in your interest if you want your software to be open, as there are plenty of well known license options for doing that.

I don't know, maybe an existing CC license would work well for free-as-in-beer software. AFAIK there aren't any public licenses really aimed at that niche (certainly none popular), so it is relatively uncharted territory.

--
Mike Linksvayer