cc-licenses - License Proposal: Transparency Option

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <ax0n AT uklinux.net>
  • To: "Creative Commons (Licenses)" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Free Roleplaying Community <freeroleplay AT freelists.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: License Proposal: Transparency Option
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:00:25 +0000

Hi All,

One of my major concerns with many of the open/free content licenses I've seen is that they make little or no allowances for the format that the content is published under. For example, the ability to modify or use the content is meaningless if it is difficult if not illegal to actual extract the raw data from the format for your own use.

Additionally, many document formats require expensive applications to read, for example Microsoft Word. One particularly nice feature of the GNU Free Documentation License is that it requires a "Transparent" copy of all content be provided. That is, a copy in a format that anyone can open and edit with a generic text editor, generic paint program, etc.

What I would like to do is propose a new licensing option for the Creative Commons called the "Transparency Option" which requires that all content is supplied with a copy in a format using a publicly available specification and which can be edited in any generic editor.

How do I go about submitting this as a proposal that the CC could adopt?

Regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community

  • License Proposal: Transparency Option, Ricardo Gladwell, 12/02/2003