cc-licenses - Re: MSN-Groups & License to Microsoft

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: MSN-Groups & License to Microsoft
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:41:32 -0500

Me> This seems way off-topic for cc-licenses.

BC> Then let's bring it in topic -- what kind of licence should we
BC> provide for forums. Forums, like Wikis blurr the traditional
BC> concept of publishing and copyright. Do any of the CC licences
BC> fit? If not, what kind of licence needs to be created that
BC> does fit and what dangers are associated with other licence
BC> models?

Better. Thank you.

For Wikitravel, we use the by-sa license. In my mind:

0. Wikitravel, the Web site, almost always acts as "You" for purposes
of the license. We redistribute works created by Wikitravel
contributors.

1. When someone creates a new page, they're releasing it under a by-sa
license. Wikitravel saves, stores, and redisplays the page under
the rights granted us by the author through that license.

2. When someone edits a page, they're creating a Derivative Work
(however teensy the change). The DW is also under by-sa, and
Wikitravel saves, stores, redisplays, distributes, etc. under that
license's terms, with the editor as the new "Licensor".

It may in fact be fair to include the editor's changes (a
punctuation or spelling correction) under fair use/fair dealing,
but it's easier to be uniform. Also, I don't want to have to write
the software that says whether a change was minor or "fair".

We still have to do some work to make sure we're in compliance with
by-sa as "You". I think our changelogs are good for most of it,
although they're lost in our printable versions.

As far as forums are concerned, they're different from wikis in that
only the original creator -- if anyone -- can edit a posting. It seems
like by or by-nd should be sufficient.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>