cc-licenses - OpenContent data - isfdb

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Thomas Christensen <tc AT sfbook.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: OpenContent data - isfdb
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:44:50 +0100

Hi,

Hopefully I'm not stepping to far off-topic here, but I need a bit of
help.

Long story short: I've a sci-fi book review site http://sfbook.com - I
want to make it better, so I want to add the information of the
http://isfdb.org (Internet Speculative Fiction DataBase).

The Isfdb has an OpenContent license on it's database:
http://www.isfdb.org/opl.shtml

(and that links to the opencontent website, which links to Creative
Commons, which is why I'm asking you people).

I've written to Al Von Ruff who's the owner of isfdb, and asked him if
I can use the data in the way I want to use it, but I haven't gotten
any response from him, which puts me in a rather annoying situation.

I can read the OpenContent license, but I can't say that I fully
understand it. I want to be sure that I'm doing this right.

I've added a section to my FAQ where I mention isfdb and the license.
I quote the license in its full and say that the isfdb data is
governed by this license, I offer versions of the data to people who
want it, including the data that I may have added:

<http://tc.dk/sfbook/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=6&categories=Who+owns+what%3F>

I mention the isfdb on the pages where the isfdb data is used:
http://tc.dk/sfbook/modules.php?authorid=1
http://tc.dk/sfbook/modules.php?bookid=434

(links go to test version of the site - may be a bit slow)

Am I doing enough? Am I doing it right?

Yours
Thomas Christensen
http://SFBook.com - science fiction book reviews

p.s. Again, I apologises if this is off topic.

  • OpenContent data - isfdb, Thomas Christensen, 11/30/2003