cc-licenses - Re: MSN-Groups & License to Microsoft

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Wouter Vanden Hove <wouter.vanden.hove AT pandora.be>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: MSN-Groups & License to Microsoft
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:12:52 +0100

Op za 29-11-2003, om 11:32 schreef Brad Collins:

> I'd call MS Weasels but it would give mere weasels a bad name. But to
> be fair this is probably a fairly standard licence which isn't much
> different from rights a traditional print newspaper claim for anything
> that is sent to them (like letters to the editor or an agony aunt).

I don't think these are comparable situations.
If you send something to a print newspaper, you explicitly put their
address on the enveloppe, because they are the people you are trying to
communicate with.

But if somone send an attachments to an msn-group, he does not want to
contact Microsoft, but just the other people subscribed to the group.
Then why should an intermediate technical entity ask all rights?

This can be extended to any email-communication.
Suppose you send a email to someone, you send it the server of an ISP
where the receiver wil download it. Are ISP's asking for the right to do
anything with your email and attachments, including displaying publicly?

wouter