cc-licenses - Re: Newbie questions: risk, include license in text, copyright notices

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Glenn Otis Brown" <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: christiane AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Re: Newbie questions: risk, include license in text, copyright notices
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:01:29 -0800

These are good questions. What follows isn't legal advice specific to
you, but just some information about how the licenses work and are being
used.0

> Am i the first one who is going to release a text under CC in Belgium?

I just did a quick Google.be search and came up with

http://demuynck.org/item/239
http://www.opencursus.be/forum/viewtopic.php?p=80
http://www.spinster.be/writing/
http://japanology.arts.kuleuven.ac.be/andreas/research_snapshot5.html

on the first couple of pages.

I've cc'd Christiane Asschenfledt, our international coordinator, in case
you might be interested in helping creating a Belgian-specific Creative
Commons license (whether in French or Flemish). Christiane can tell you
more about that process.

> Is there a possebitily to include the license in the text (in an
> appendix)
> instead of refering to an URL? Or is this not a good idea?

The notice provision of the licenses says that this is okay to do:

"You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this
License with every copy or phonorecord of the Work You distribute,
publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform."

So, a copy of or a link to the license is okay. Either way.

We like people to link to the licenses because it can help us count the
number of adoptions (roughly). It's also less cumbersome and reassures
licensees that the license you've used is indeed a CC license, with no
modification.

If you don't want to include the link, can I suggest that you include
both the Commons Deed and full Legal Code, as well as our metadata?

> There are two copyright holders: someone for one chapter, and me for all
> the rest (but all is going to be released under the
> Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial License). What text do i have to put
> where about this? (i mean the "Copyright (c) 2003 name" and "this is
> under
> the license as you can find in appendix called ....." or something
> alike)?

Ask your fellow copyright holder, and then just use whatever text you
think will make clear to the public who deserves attribution.

> Thanks in advance!

No problem. Thanks for writing.

Glenn