cc-hk - Re: [Cc-hk] welcome to the public discussion!

  • From: "Mr. Pindar Wong" <pindar AT pacific.net.hk>
  • To: cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Peter Yu <peter_yu AT msn.com>, Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>, ying chan <yychan AT hku.hk>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-hk] welcome to the public discussion!
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:11:04 +0800

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year to you all,

From my perspective, I agree with the notion of having a planned media strategy and it appears to me that generating +ve input into the porting process to 'improve'

1) the quality and legal robustness of the output w.r.t. the existing HKCO
2) (perhaps more importantly) generate the necessary  'buy-in/ownership' from HK's Legal IP community - both existing and future

would perhaps be a good use of the time before the official launch.

Certainly expectations of the wider non-IP community need to be managed as part of the wider media plan, and this could certainly proceed in parallel, but I would argue that the official launch should not come as a surprise to, say, groups like the HK Law Society's Working Group on IP(?) or the HK Govt's IPD.

We certainly don't want such groups appearing ignorant or working against us because we've not sought their opinion/contribution/wise counsel.  Similar outreach efforts could focus on the next generation of IP lawyers via the universities/law firms and perhaps having a press release which focusses on surfacing and resolving any technical legal issues arising from the draft would be sufficient, timely and self-limiting.

Therefore, to my short-sited eyes it appears to me that an element of a media strategy could be

1) Before the official launch - largely focus on  minimizing 'surprise'
2) After the official launch - focus would largely shift from 'minimizing surprise' to 'maximizing uptake i.e. use' ;)

Perhaps those closer to the IP community can suggest a hit-list of 10 groups which,  'must not be surprised by the arrival of the HK-version of 3.0 license'.

m2c.

p.