cc-hk - [Cc-hk] Fwd: CC licence

  • From: Rebecca MacKinnon <rebecca.mackinnon AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: David Plott <davidplott AT gmail.com>, ying chan <yychan AT hku.hk>
  • Subject: [Cc-hk] Fwd: CC licence
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:04:05 +0800

Hi everybody, please see the note below which Prof. Jing Wang of MIT asked me to forward to the list.

As promised, a few notes about our meeting on Tuesday night:

We decided to take advantage of the presence of Hal Abelson of MIT, who helped found CC along with Larry Lessig, plus members of the CC China Mainland team Wang Jing and Wang Chunyan. All were in town to attend the excellent conference on IT and Social Responsibility organized by Jack Qiu of CUHK. Charles and Oiwan enriched the gathering with their presences at different points. Prof's Wang and Wang gave great presentations about what CC China mainland is doing. Maybe we can see whether they might be interested in sharing them with this list at some point.

We decided to organize a somewhat impromptu and informal gathering on Tuesday night after the conference dinner for whoever was able to make it.

Everybody is thrilled that a draft of the CC-HK license will be available for public comment within the coming month.

We very much hope that we will be able to launch CC-HK - the licenses and the official CC-HK organization - by mid-June at the latest. I know that many of you can't wait to get started with CC-licensed projects and products.

Before the launch there is a list of things we need to do:

- Decide what activities we want to organize around the launch
- Draw up a budget for the launch (see note below from Prof. Wang about the HKD cost of the China Mainland launch)
- Draw up a budget for an ongoing CC-HK organization, which for the time being would be administered by the Journalism & Media Studies Center at HKU.
- Devise a fund-raising strategy so that the launch can happen the way we want it to.
- Determine what "message" we want to convey with the CC-HK launch - what is the unique "CC-HK brand"  (Suggested components of our core message: CC-HK will help promote Hong Kong's innovation, creativity, egalitarian education, cultural diversity, and civic participation.)
- Decide who are our target communities who will benefit most from CC; then determine an outreach strategy for those communities (Several people stressed the need to make sure we involve people from HK's less economically advantaged communities from the very start. Ben will be working with the rest of you to make sure our launch and our organization generally are as inclusive as possible. That probably means holding a lot of meetings and activities in Cantonese and not all in English, among other things.)
-- Target several HK NGO's, arts groups, educational institutions (for any age group), businesses, etc., who would like to launch a project, product, service, exhibition, or performance, etc. in conjunction with the CC-HK launch.
- Determine which organizations, institutions, and businesses in HK will be core CC-HK supporters and start building relationships for long-term collaboration. Get these groups heavily involved with the launch, ask them to help host activities related to the launch, and also ask them for core support in terms of promotion and maybe even funding where appropriate.

Please add anything that I left out which should be on the list.

Finally we are in a position to hold a meeting where we can get a lot of work done on a concrete action plan. We should hold a meeting in January.  Ben Cheng will take charge of organizing the place and time.

If a few people would like to start organizing ideas and agenda items on the Wiki in advance, that would be really fabulous. (http://cchk.wetpaint.com/) It's much easier to keep track of ideas on a wiki than in e-mail threads, I find. The energetic Henry Oh has agreed to volunteer some time helping us out as well. So maybe Henry can start collecting ideas from around the community in coordination with Ben and others?

I'm going to be away for the next week and may be slow to respond to emails... but please don't let that stop you from discussing! Ben will be around and will start working on a time for the next meeting as soon as he gets a chance with lots of year-end projects to wrap up.

Happy holidays everybody!

Rebecca

Begin forwarded message: