cc-education - Re: [cc-education] educational use clause

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <david AT wiley.ed.usu.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] educational use clause
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:03:14 -0600

Ben Crowell wrote:

If the license won't fly legally without this onerous restriction, maybe
that's a sign that the license is a bad idea. I get a lot of nice e-mails
from home-schooling parents who are using my physics texts with their
kids. (And -- heh heh -- maybe their parents didn't notice the
anti-creationist
diatribe tucked into that section of the optics text on the evolution of the
eye :-)

Being a homeschooler myself, which maybe I haven't disclosed yet, is another reason I am deeply interested in this issue. We're still exploring whether or not homeschools (which generally have to provide *formal* notice to their local school boards that they will be educating at home) will qualify as institutions. I am hopeful that formal notification and recognition of homeschools under law will mean that they will qualify.

Who are the bad, evil non-educational users from whom authors need their
free information protected? If they exist, couldn't they be fended off using
a CC license with the no-commercial-use clause turned on?

I'm not sure. Who are the people in the open source community that want to license their materials for free for educational use? I'm not sure any analysis would yield a common set of characteristics. The fact remains that there are many users of these licenses in the software world (although they are a minority of the total OSS world), and by analogy there may be many in the content world. If it turns out three years from now that no one is using it, then we won't keep working on it.