cc-education - [cc-education] educational use clause

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Ben Crowell <cceducrowell03 AT lightandmatter.com>
  • To: cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-education] educational use clause
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:43:41 -0500

David Wiley wrote:

>This was something I very much wanted to do initially. However, as the
>legal people from Stanford Law looked at the literature / legal history
>of the word "educational," they "encouraged" me to stick with the
>traditional legal understanding of the term, which always involves an
>institution. We've tried hard to make the license as open as possible
>while still attached to the institution.

If the license won't fly legally without this onerous restriction, maybe
that's a sign that the license is a bad idea. I get a lot of nice e-mails
from home-schooling parents who are using my physics texts with their
kids. (And -- heh heh -- maybe their parents didn't notice the
anti-creationist
diatribe tucked into that section of the optics text on the evolution of the
eye :-)

Who are the bad, evil non-educational users from whom authors need their
free information protected? If they exist, couldn't they be fended off using
a CC license with the no-commercial-use clause turned on?