cc-education - Re: [cc-education] educational use clause

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <david AT wiley.ed.usu.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] educational use clause
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:51:50 -0600

Zachary Chandler wrote:

ZC: Others with whom I have discussed this issue have voiced a concern over marrying cc.edu to the institution. Is there a way to word the language so that it is more inclusive, without watering down its clarity and usefulness?

This was something I very much wanted to do initially. However, as the legal people from Stanford Law looked at the literature / legal history of the word "educational," they "encouraged" me to stick with the traditional legal understanding of the term, which always involves an institution. We've tried hard to make the license as open as possible while still attached to the institution. If you haven't read my most recent blog post, there's a little more detail on this there. http://www.reusability.org/blogs/david/archives/000252.html