cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] CCRel in microdata

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Greg Grossmeier <greg AT grossmeier.net>
  • To: mz AT kl.nl
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] CCRel in microdata
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:38:44 -0800

Hello Maarten!

<quote name="mz AT kl.nl" date="2013-01-11" time="13:08:33 +0100">
> Hello,
>
> I always promote CCRel when an organisation asks me for advice when
> switching to a CC based publishing model (mostly NGO, Non-profits and
> governments).

Thanks for your hard work on this.

> But lately I have the feeling that our direction with
> CCRel is getting outdated/outpaced by microdata initiatives like
> schema.org. There is no version or implementation guide available for
> CCRel available for microdata and microformats.

Two things:

1) Yes, CCRel hasn't been updated in a long time.

2) Correction: Schema.org isn't *only* microdata. That ontology is also
perfectly usable (and officially supported) in RDFa 1.1 lite:
http://blog.schema.org/2011/11/using-rdfa-11-lite-with-schemaorg.html

Also see:
http://schema.org/docs/datamodel.html
"Our use of Microdata maps easily into RDFa Lite. In fact, all of
Schema.org can be used with the RDFa Lite syntax as is. The RDFa Lite
version of the markup looks almost isomorphic to the Microdata version."

> Also I see advices
> from google that microdata, microformats and RDFa should not be mixed
> in one webpage.

Correct. Which is why I am recommending to people to use RDFa when
implementing Schema.org unless otherwise needed.

> If we do bring about new implementation guides for
> other version than our rights description language will be bypassed in
> favour for DC:rights. Something that is not desirable.
>
> I believe we should start working on better descriptions of CCRel that
> fits these other use cases.
>
> What are your thoughts about these?

Agree and agree. We should make sure we update our documentation to be
more explicit about how to handle this situation.

Did my clarification above help you in your current work?

Thanks,

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| http://grossmeier.net A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |