cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] CCRel in microdata

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl>
  • To: Greg Grossmeier <greg AT grossmeier.net>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] CCRel in microdata
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 23:52:50 +0100

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the response.

comments inline.

Cheers,

Maarten

On Jan 15, 2013, at 20:20 , Greg Grossmeier <greg AT grossmeier.net> wrote:

> Maarten,
>
> I didn't want to let this linger without a response while I work on the
> details in the background...
>
> <quote name="Maarten Zeinstra" date="2013-01-15" time="00:54:28 +0100">
>> The semweb war is not our war. Good rights labelling is our war. ( I
>> challenge anyone who thinks otherwise :) )
>
> Agree :)
>
>> Although any winner of the semwar will influence the way we need to
>> communicate rights information. It is best for CC to be neutral and
>> provide help to all parties. Porting CCRel to microdata or
>> mircoformats should not be too difficult. Making a xsd for ccrel is
>> peanuts. I even worked on it with Nathan Yergler but our mails
>> conversation about that suddenly seemed to stop in september 2010.
>>
>> I've included my draft that I communicated to Ben Adida, Mike
>> Linksvayer and Nathan Yergler in 2010, although I haven't read it
>> since.
>
> Thanks for that. For some reason LibreOffice couldn't open that
> correctly, but Google Docs could. It is here (and publicly commentable,
> I can add you as an author if you like and send me your preferred email
> for that):
> http://goo.gl/w6MFk

This address will do just fine.

>> I can work on these issues, write and review drafts if only there is
>> someone at CC-HQ that is able to actually publish/change/coordinate
>> something.
>
> I will take up the lead on that from CC HQ for now. I don't want good
> work to be lost.

Good

>> You state that you want to add a page to the wiki with examples, but I
>> think CC-HQ has tried and tested the Wiki solution for quite some time
>> now and has to determine that hat way simply does not work. Those
>> pages are a big unsupervised mess. Simply adding more information to
>> those pages shows only that there is no determination of getting
>> CC-technology structured and useful. To give an example, I don't think
>> I ever found the link http://labs.creativecommons.org/2011/ccrel-guide
>> before you said in your mail below.
>
> Right, more info isn't good (and I agree with Jonas' later email)
> without a concerted effort to streamline. I do think the wiki is a fine
> place for some documentation, but the current state of things, well,
> isn't good, and doesn't lead to a sane situation.

Maybe we should create or find a page that lists all products/ ways that CC
tries to communicates technology and see if there are affiliates or
volunteers that like to rank them on their importance, then build a better
tech outreach plan based on that.

>> Sorry for the rant, but this has been frustrating me for a while now.
>
> No worries, Maarten, I understand completely.
>
>> Now let's be pro active and practical: Greg if you can put that page
>> http://labs.creativecommons.org/2011/ccrel-guide on a google doc, open
>> it for all to comment and place that link on this mailing list.i
>
> I just noticed that the guide has its own git repository on
> code.creativecommons.org:
> http://code.creativecommons.org/viewgit/ccrel-guide.git/
>
> But, I've also put up a commentable version on Google Docs here:
> http://goo.gl/v7GAT -- It isn't the prettiest of displays, but it works
> for now.

Google docs works fine for me. I lowers the threshold for anyone to comment
on the doc.