cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] CCRel in microdata

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Greg Grossmeier <greg AT grossmeier.net>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] CCRel in microdata
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:20:16 -0800

Maarten,

I didn't want to let this linger without a response while I work on the
details in the background...

<quote name="Maarten Zeinstra" date="2013-01-15" time="00:54:28 +0100">
> The semweb war is not our war. Good rights labelling is our war. ( I
> challenge anyone who thinks otherwise :) )

Agree :)

> Although any winner of the semwar will influence the way we need to
> communicate rights information. It is best for CC to be neutral and
> provide help to all parties. Porting CCRel to microdata or
> mircoformats should not be too difficult. Making a xsd for ccrel is
> peanuts. I even worked on it with Nathan Yergler but our mails
> conversation about that suddenly seemed to stop in september 2010.
>
> I've included my draft that I communicated to Ben Adida, Mike
> Linksvayer and Nathan Yergler in 2010, although I haven't read it
> since.

Thanks for that. For some reason LibreOffice couldn't open that
correctly, but Google Docs could. It is here (and publicly commentable,
I can add you as an author if you like and send me your preferred email
for that):
http://goo.gl/w6MFk

> I can work on these issues, write and review drafts if only there is
> someone at CC-HQ that is able to actually publish/change/coordinate
> something.

I will take up the lead on that from CC HQ for now. I don't want good
work to be lost.

> You state that you want to add a page to the wiki with examples, but I
> think CC-HQ has tried and tested the Wiki solution for quite some time
> now and has to determine that hat way simply does not work. Those
> pages are a big unsupervised mess. Simply adding more information to
> those pages shows only that there is no determination of getting
> CC-technology structured and useful. To give an example, I don't think
> I ever found the link http://labs.creativecommons.org/2011/ccrel-guide
> before you said in your mail below.

Right, more info isn't good (and I agree with Jonas' later email)
without a concerted effort to streamline. I do think the wiki is a fine
place for some documentation, but the current state of things, well,
isn't good, and doesn't lead to a sane situation.

> Sorry for the rant, but this has been frustrating me for a while now.

No worries, Maarten, I understand completely.

> Now let's be pro active and practical: Greg if you can put that page
> http://labs.creativecommons.org/2011/ccrel-guide on a google doc, open
> it for all to comment and place that link on this mailing list.i

I just noticed that the guide has its own git repository on
code.creativecommons.org:
http://code.creativecommons.org/viewgit/ccrel-guide.git/

But, I've also put up a commentable version on Google Docs here:
http://goo.gl/v7GAT -- It isn't the prettiest of displays, but it works
for now.

Thanks for the prodding, Maarten.

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| http://grossmeier.net A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |