cc-au - Re: [ccAustralia] CC licenses in education- a case study

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Leigh Blackall <leighblackall AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ccAustralia] CC licenses in education- a case study
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 21:11:40 +1100

I'm interested why/how the video came to wear the license Non Commercial and No Derivatives? I saw no content within it that forced that...

Tama encouraged educational media producers, even students to use more liberal licenses, but was left high and dry by the producers of this video, looking slightly hypocritical as a result.

The Non Commercial restriction prevents me loading it to other commercially sustained video sharing sites, certainly most educational institutions these days, perhaps that was precisely the reason, this is the Australian education sector after all.. The No Derivative restriction prevents transcriptions, translations, sub titling, or maybe even copying it into an open standard format. Certainly I can't do anything with it but watch it at the location prescribe by the College.

I don't mean to be harsh, but how does the College, with a pretty high percentage of funding from Australian taxes, justify these restrictions? How did Tama come to give release for recordings of his face and words in this? Especially when it portrays the producers, and even Tama by association, as being more conservative than the Australian Government these days!

There must be a reason, I'd like to know, it wasn't apparent in the video.