cc-au - Re: [cc-au] It's all about google!

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jessica Coates <j2.coates AT qut.edu.au>
  • To: "cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-au] It's all about google!
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 11:06:48 +1000

Hi

Thanks for the clarification Andrae.

And yes - to reinforce the message, Creative Commons definitely doesn't recommend you use our licences for code. Our licences are intended for content - music, film, text etc - not for software.

But we do encourage software companies to (like Google) recognise that content connected with code (the manuals, visual elements, sounds in a computer game) does need to be licensed. What's the point in telling people they can distribute and reuse your game if they can't reuse anything within it?

Jessica Coates
Project Manager
Creative Commons Clinic
Queensland University of Technology