cc-au - Re: [cc-au] It's all about google!

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Steve Olive <steve AT bathurstcomputers.com.au>
  • To: cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-au] It's all about google!
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 18:05:32 +1000

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 03:45:02 pm elliott bledsoe wrote:
> hello all. it would seem that all the exciting new from creative
> commons at the moment is coming out of google.
>
> not that long ago google code (http://code.google.com) introduce cc
> licensing, allowing hosted projects to release their code under the
> attribution and the attribution-share alike licences. find out more
> here:
> http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2008/07/introducing-content-license
>s-on-google.html
>
> and of course, google knol (http://knol.google.com), a site for
> publishing "authoritative" articles, not only allowed users to license
> under the attribution and the attribution-noncommercial licences from
> the moment the service was launched, but it also set attribution as
> the site default, meaning people have to make a conscious decision to
> release their material under "all rights reserved."
>
> but more recently (as recent as tuesday) google adopted cc on two
> projects. google announced on the google photo blog
> (http://googlephotos.blogspot.com ) that google's desktop photo management
> software picasa (http://picasa.google.com ) now includes rights management
> as part of the settings. users can maintain "all rights reserved" copyright
> or apply any of the standard cc licensing suite. a user can define a
> default cc licence for all of their work and manage individual photos on a
> case-by-case basis. of particular interest is the licence chooser that
> google has developed for picasa. i've blogged about it at
> http://ccelliott.blogspot.com/2008/09/googles-picasa-photo-software-now.htm
>
> also on tuesday, google started a public relations campaign about
> their new web browser google chrome (http://google.com/chrome). chrome
> is an open source web browser released under the bsd licence
> (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php ). boasting a whole new
> experience of the web it incorporates google's trade mark minimal chic in
> its design with nifty features tucked away in convenient places.
> unfortunately for anyone not on windows, it is only available for pc at the
> moment.
>
> but what is interesting about chrome was google's decision to release
> the pr material under a creative commons attribution-noncommercial-no
> derivative works licence. as i said on my blog, an interesting
> marketing campaign by google: get scott mccloud to create a comic book
> explaining your new project using cartoon characters of your actual
> project team talking about the project. stick the comic and the comic
> only in an envelop and post it to jouranlists. done. with the cc
> licence on it, the campaign will spread itself. i've blogged about
> their use of cc for the pr campaign here:
> http://ccelliott.blogspot.com/2008/09/start-viral-campaign-googles-pr-for-n
>ew.html more about chrome here:
> http://ccelliott.blogspot.com/2008/09/where-for-art-thou-chromeo.html
>

> _elliott
>
> elliott bledsoe
> [...]

You may want to re-think your enthusiasm for everything Google. See
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03/google_chrome_eula_sucks/ for full
report.

Basically from the EULA:

"11. Content licence from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in
Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By
submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual,
irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce,
adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and
distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the
Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display,
distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services
as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services."

Anything you submit post or display using Chrome you give away to Google for
ever.

So, my question is: How will they know this? Does this mean everything you
post, upload or display is also transmitted to Google's servers?

How does this fit with Google's "Do no evil" ethic?

--
Regards,

Steve
Bathurst Computer Solutions
e-mail: steve AT bathurstcomputers.com.au
Mobile: 0407 224 251
.... _
... (0)>
... / / \