baslinux - [BL] More About The ThinkPad 500

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] More About The ThinkPad 500
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 07:58:32 -0500

A couple of years back, I sat out to investigate what could be done with the machine and laid out my findings on my blog, along with the notes I made during the project (I'm afraid that I was a bit disappointed with BL's performance at the time) -
http://yesterdata.blogspot.com/2010/12/litebook-concludes.html
This time, I accepted that most of the problems were really hardware level after having found more information about not only BL but muLinux as well.
To that extent, this is really an exercise. But, more important, is the notion that something as old as this computer can have a much more modern OS, even if it is still a few years old.
The plan is for it to be used as a field unit, though the ThinkPad 760XD will be used quite a bit for that. The 500's size makes it ideal.
Then, of course, there is the notion of not letting it go to waste, which is more important to me.
As for the video chipset, it uses an odd monochrome type; this played all sorts of havoc with an experimental lightweight Windows 95 install. I suspect the best thing to do is just play around with it.
And of course, I will let everyone here know what happens next!

--
Rob "The Vagabond Astronomer" Little
http://vagabondastronomer.blogspot.com

"The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally, inhumanly sensitive. To them... a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death." (Pearl S. Buck)