baslinux - Re: [BL] More About The ThinkPad 500

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] More About The ThinkPad 500
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:06:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

A couple of years back, I sat out to investigate what could be done with the
machine and laid out my findings on my blog, along with the notes I made
during the project (I'm afraid that I was a bit disappointed with BL's
performance at the time) -
http://yesterdata.blogspot.com/2010/12/litebook-concludes.html

The links here seem to require javascript and I read mail at a BSD shell account using lynx with pine. Want to summarize?

<http://yesterdata.blogspot.com/2010/12/litebook-concludes.html>This time, I
accepted that most of the problems were really hardware level after having
found more information about not only BL but muLinux as well.

To that extent, this is really an exercise. But, more important, is the
notion that something as old as this computer can have a much more modern
OS, even if it is still a few years old.

BL itself is now over 10 years old. In 1999 or so a 486 75MHz was my best computer and worked nicely with BL1, where Redhat took 5 min to boot and another 5 to load X. 12MB RAM.

The plan is for it to be used as a field unit, though the ThinkPad 760XD
will be used quite a bit for that. The 500's size makes it ideal.
Then, of course, there is the notion of not letting it go to waste, which is
more important to me.

I understand, but what exactly did you want to use it for? Do you need graphics?

As for the video chipset, it uses an odd monochrome type; this played all
Try the mono X server. Opera 6 works with mono.

Please try to send plain text without the second HTML copy (change your mail program's settings)