baslinux - Re: [BL] More About The ThinkPad 500

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] More About The ThinkPad 500
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:25:06 -0500

Sorry about that!
I actually have a Freeshell account as well, but most of my work is
done from my Gmail account.
As for what I wanted to use the TP 500 for, it really comes down to
writing and the ability to send those documents to another machine,
either via a floppy disks (of which I literally have hundreds) or
network/Internet. Light internet usage, but really writing.
In its present state, it is running DR-DOS 7 with Desqview/X. It also
has FreeGEM as a GUI as well. However, this really becomes a matter of
taste; while it is quite capable, it isn't nearly enough. Arachne is a
good possibility for a DOS based browser, but setting the network
software up is problematic. I do have a wireless card or two (plan on
picking up a couple more of the older PCMCIA cards as well) and am
really leaning in that direction.
I guess you might say that this is really an experiment, but one which
I hope will yield a workable machine, a usable machine.
You could call this a "look-see".