baslinux - Re: [BL] BL on SATA drive

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL on SATA drive
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 23:56:23 +0000 (UTC)

Unless someone has a better idea I will eventually compile
a 2.6 kernel with scsi support instead of 2.4
SATA support (atalib?)

Sindi

I copied BL to a 40GB drive (people keep giving me the ones that whir loudly) and got my 1.7GHz computer working again by unplugging replugging DIMMs a few times (it would stop booting, or start beeping otherwise) and using BL at the library on a laptop (at up to 400K/sec) downloaded kernel 2.6.21.7 source code as tar.bz2 and uncompressed in /usr/src/linux.

I symlinked to gcc a newer gcc 3.4.6 from Slackware 11, from which I also have glibc 2.3.6. I have compiled a few things with this combination before that the SW81 versions could not manage.

make menuconfig gave me some error messages - command not found,
binary operator expected, and integer expression expected and
missing asm-generic/errno.h and asm-generic/ioctl.h
(which I have in /usr/src/linux/include).
A web search on make menuconfig and my errors suggests
I should install kernel headers but I have full kernel source.
Any ideas what else is missing?

make config also gives lots of errors. No such file, undeclared...

Slackware 10.2 can be used with a 2.6 kernel.
To compile and use it you need to install

udev
diffutils
module-init-tools

(Are these really needed or can you manually insmod things as in 2.4?)

You can reuse a 2.4 kernel .config or borrow a 2.6 .config, or start new

make menuconfig

make
make modules_install
make install

(not make dep and make bzImage and make modules as for 2.2 and 2.4)

Do the modules install automatically without insmod?