baslinux - Re: [BL] Onboard pcmcia wireless, was Re: Toshiba Satellite 3000 Re: dual boot DOS and XP

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Onboard pcmcia wireless, was Re: Toshiba Satellite 3000 Re: dual boot DOS and XP
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 03:30:29 +0000 (UTC)

A third option is my MN-510 USB wireless card, if I can figure out the
drivers for BL. It worked in Puppy in an old desktop. It was the only
USB or PCI wireless card I or a friend could get to work with Puppy out of
a collection of 7, and is available on eBay for $15 buy it now or $13
minimum bid, new offer daily.

MN-520 pcmcia is orinoco 80211b and works in BL2 with orinoco.

The MN-510 worked in a desktop with puppy but is NOT FOUND in the
!@#$ laptop when plugged into a working USB port. Maybe the onboard
orinoco card is confusing puppy?

Someone suggests the linux-wlan drivers for it.

linux-wlan-ng has drivers for prism2 - pcmcia pci and usb. They would not compile with gcc 2.95.3 and glibc 2.2.5 (error messages even if I only tried to compile for USB) which I think mean sloppy code. I will try some day with glibc 2.3.6 and the SW11 gcc.

Puppy Linux kernel 2.6.21.7 (which has scsi and intel modem support) works with this USB wireless card, prism2_usb driver. But the idiot laptop won't boot with it (kernel panic, I think it was), nor will it boot with 2.6.30.5 with the extra drivers, though the same kernel without the drivers added does work. This explains why the card won't work on this laptop. Maybe that one driver can be added separately.

Older Toshiba laptops (100MHz, 250MHz) work fine with BL2. I had some odd problem with a 266MHz Toshiba (USB storage not working?).
Maybe BL just can't handle newer hardware.